To schedule an interview with Rita Marie Johnson or for additional information, contact:
Rita Marie Johnson
Rita Marie Johnson
Title: Founder and CEO of Rasur Foundation International (RFI)
- How Combining Empathy and Insight Works Wonders
- Naming Needs Reduces Conflicts and Violence
- What Is Heart-Brain Coherence and How Does It Make You Wiser
- Social Emotional Learning for Harmonious Classrooms
- Employee Engagement for Improved Results
- Being Peaceful in Today’s World
- Three Myths About Our Inner Lives
Educator, author, speaker, and award-winning innovator Rita Marie Johnson has been sharing her message and her method for social and emotional learning worldwide for over a decade. The “Connection Practice” she pioneered, now used by individuals, schools and businesses, brought her the 2005 Ashoka Changemakers Innovation Award, chosen from 79 projects in 32 countries. Since 2010, Johnson has taught the Connection Practice Foundations Course at the United Nations-mandated University for Peace, a graduate school for international leaders. CEO of Rasur Foundation International (RFI), Johnson is the author of the forthcoming book Completely Connected: Uniting Our Empathy and Insight for Extraordinary Results.
Download the long version: Rita Marie Johnson Bio 2014-05-2014
Speaking History (abbreviated):
- Rotary International “Peace Through Service” Conference
- Executive Women’s Summit, Phoenix, AZ
- Annual Department of Peace Conference, Washington D.C.
- INCAE Business School (considered the Harvard of Latin America) for the Annual Reunion of Rectors and Deans of Latin America
- Central American Leadership Initiative (CALI), a think tank sponsored by the Aspen Institute
- Passport to Peace, a documentary about Costa Rica’s national model of peace
- Empathy Documentary Project
- CCTV, Burlington, VT
- Yes! Magazine
Rasur Foundation International (RFI)
Year Formed: 2009
Type of Organization: 501(c)3 nonprofit organization
- Gilroy, California
RFI Basic Fact Sheet: RFI Basic Organizational Info 2014-11-11
The Connection Practice
What It Is:
The Connection Practice consists of three activities:
- Connection Process: A method for learning how to unite empathy and insight by:
- Naming feelings and needs of yourself and others, which creates empathy.
- Connecting the heart and brain, called coherence, which accesses insights to help you move forward on conflicts, challenges and celebrations.
- Connection Path: Used for conflict resolution.
- Connection Mediation: Used to mediate conflicts between others.
The Connection Practice has been taught to more than 1,500 teachers in Costa Rica with significant benefits for the 40,000 students impacted. It is now being taught in schools, nonprofits and businesses throughout the United States. In spiritual communities, the practice is called BePeace.
The Science Behind the Practice: Science of the Practice 2014-01 CP
- Reduce stress.
- Resolve conflicts.
- Solve problems creatively.
- Self-regulate emotions and behavior.
- Prevent and resolve bullying and misconduct.
- Communicate with empathy.
- Create harmonious workplaces, schools and communities.
Almost 100 people in the United States, Canada, Costa Rica, Bahamas, Japan, New Zealand and Puerto Rico have been certified by RFI as:
- Coaches: for individual sessions
- Teachers/trainers: for RFI courses, including the Foundations Course
- Curriculum instructors: for teaching teachers
- Nonprofit organizations
- Spiritual communities (under the name BePeace)
- Service clubs and other associations
The BePeace Practice
What It Is:
BePeace teaches the same skills that are taught in the Connection Practice. It is branded for presentation to spiritual communities.